Why to develop this tool
Last year I read an article introducing multi-column layout design - the Perfect multi-column CSS liquid layouts design
by Matthew James Taylor. It's the best design I ever knew and applied its layout in my website. But the problem came when I needed to
adjust the width of one column, the other columns also changed. I didn't know how to figure out the exact css values for the changed columns.
The only thing I could do was to test again and again.
This was not the solution. My goal might be develop hundreds of sites in the future. That's why I developed this tool. Since the tool is published
on the net, I have received many positive reviews and valuable suggestions. Thanks for all the attentions. The tools will continue
refining and improvement.
History of updates on the net
- June 2008 - Acquire the domain of pagecolumn.com. 1, 2, 3 column layout generators were published on the net.
- August 2008 - 4 column layout generator was developed.
- September 2008 - Resolved a bug on the slider. Add full screen mode and the pallette was revised accordingly.
- September 2008 - Developed 5 column layout generator. Add a select gap button which reduces one slider for each generator.
Add some web2.0 color in the color pallette.
- A tutorial on how to use these tool
- Develop more layout patterns.
- Adjust border, backgroud image, add inner layers dynamically, rounded corner... HTML editor?! Wow, a lot of work!
To credit what I've done is very simple - help to spread the tool. I believe a lot of pepole need it to simplify their work. Please let me know if you use the layout generated
by these tools in your website. I may create a link to your site as a demo. Lastly, I would ask a question. Do you think if there's the need to have extra syntax on multi-column in CSS3?
I see no because it has not been holy grail.
Feel free to send me your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!